25 grams unsalted butter
1 sweet Spanish white onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
150 ml good quality red wine
1 tsp Marmite
350 ml beef stock
375 grams corned beef
2 tbsp prepared freshly chopped parsley leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
750 grams peeled potatoes
85 ml milk or cream warmed with 85 grams unsalted butter
50 grams mature white cheddar cheese, grated
25 grams Japanese breadcrumbs
30 grams Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 390ºF, gas mark 6.
- Cook the potatoes in stock or boiling salted water until tender, drain through a colander, cover and put to one side.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy based frying pan, add in the onions and thyme and gently fry for about 3 minutes, add the red wine stir and reduce by half.
- Add the Marmite and stock, cook briskly until reduced by half.
- Add the corned beef and parsley, stir to combine then cook gently for about 8 minutes, breaking up with a fork.
- Taste and season as required.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan and put through a ricer or mash until smooth, add the milk and butter, whisk to combine then stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Place the corned beef mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the potatoes.
- Mix the Parmesan and breadcrumbs together, sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a light golden brown.